Fryeburg Academy, a 580-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an outstanding beginning or early-career teacher who prizes hard work and professionalism and who seeks instructional training and mentoring. The successful candidate will assume duties in August 2018. This position involves teaching two or three sections of science and participating in the Academy’s residential program as a dorm parent. Teaching assignments will include either A.P. Biology or A.P. Chemistry, so a relevant content-area major or comparable experience is a must. The successful candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for working with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a range of academic interests and skills.
FA faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school's boarding program and extracurricular offerings. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish to strengthen its community. Pre-career experience working with adolescents-- e.g., as a tutor, coach, camp counselor-- is a plus.
FA teaching interns work closely with veteran faculty mentors. Attendance at a week-long 2018 summer institute for new AP teachers is a requirement. The Academy will fund this training.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a science major or in education with a science concentration.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with high school students of all backgrounds and abilities, and to encourage continuous growth
- Ability and desire to plan high-quality instruction, assess student learning, reflect on pedagogical effectiveness, and adjust approach
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to meet high professional standards
- Outstanding subject area knowledge
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, résumé, official transcript, and the contact information for three references to Judy Heininger, Executive Assistant to the Head of School (firstname.lastname@example.org).